This comprehensive guide provides a step-by-step process for applying for a US Visa in Australia.
It covers who can apply, types of visas for Australian residents and citizens, and detailed instructions on the application process.
Whether using the Visa Waiver Program (ESTA) or requiring a specific visa type, the guide outlines eligibility criteria, document requirements, and the application timeline.
From determining the visa type to attending the visa interview, this guide aims to assist Australians in successfully navigating the US visa application process.
Who Can Apply:
Certain Australians and residents in Australia need to apply for a US Visa based on their purpose of entry and current situation.
Types of Visas for Australian Residents and Citizens:
- Australians under the Visa Waiver Program (ESTA)
- Non-immigrant visas (tourism, business, work, study)
- Immigrant visas (permanent residency)
- Determine Your Visa Type:
- Identify the specific US visa type based on your purpose of entry.
- Check Eligibility for ESTA:
- Australians under the Visa Waiver Program can travel to the US without a visa but need to apply for ESTA online.
- Complete Online ESTA Application:
- Fill out the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) online, costing $14 USD.
- Check ESTA Eligibility:
- If ineligible for ESTA or denied, proceed to apply for a US visa.
- Application Location:
- Lodge nonimmigrant US Visa applications at the designated American visa center for residents in Australia.
- Complete Online US Visa Application:
- Fill out the DS-160 form online through the Consular Electronic Application Center or with the assistance of a specialized agent.
- Pay MRV Fee:
- Pay the machine-readable visa (MRV) fee online, varying by visa type.
- Document Collection:
- Gather required documents such as DS-160 confirmation, passport, US visa photo, previous US visas (if applicable), police certificate (ACRO), and medical examination results if needed.
- Schedule Visa Appointment:
- Schedule a US visa appointment for an interview at the US embassy or consulate.
- Attend Visa Interview:
- Attend the interview with a consular officer. Provide biometrics, answer questions about your trip, and present organized documents.
US Visa Types for Australian Citizens:
- E-3 Visa:
- Specialty Occupation Professionals from Australia.
- Requires a job offer in the US, a higher education qualification, and specialized knowledge.
- Approval typically takes 3 to 5 workdays, but processing may extend up to 6 months.
- Passport remains at the embassy during processing, and after approval or rejection, it will be delivered.
- No refund for visa fees upon denial.
- Re-application is possible, presenting proof of changes in circumstances.
This step-by-step guide provides detailed instructions for Australians on how to apply for a US Visa, covering various visa types, eligibility, and essential details for a successful application.