Costa Rica, with its lush landscapes and vibrant wildlife, is a dream destination for many. However, the entry process varies depending on your nationality. This guide covers the Costa Rica visa application, requirements, types of visas, and other essential information.
Who Needs a Visa for Costa Rica?
Costa Rica’s visa policy has four groups:
- Visa-Exempt Nationals (Group 1):
- United States and European Union citizens.
- Allowed a 90-day stay with a valid passport.
- Visa-Exempt Nationals (Group 2):
- Allowed a 30-day stay with a passport valid for at least three months.
- Costa Rica Consular Visa:
- Required for certain nationalities; must be obtained from a consulate.
- Allows a 30-day stay.
- Costa Rica Restricted Visa:
- Approval needed from the Commission of Restricted Visas.
- Grants a 30-day stay.
Check here for a complete list of countries requiring a Costa Rica Visa.
Costa Rica Visa Requirements:
When applying for a Costa Rica visa, prepare the following documents:
- Application letter with personal details.
- Passport valid for six months.
- Return flight reservation.
- Passport photocopies.
- Two passport-sized photos.
- Proof of financial means.
- Police clearance certificate.
- Yellow Fever Vaccination proof if applicable.
- Proof of visa/residence permit from another country if applicable.
Documents must be translated into Spanish and legalized.
Costa Rica Visa Application Process:
Costa Rica Consular Visa:
- Contact the Costa Rica consulate for an appointment.
- Submit required documents.
- Complete the application form from the Immigration Department’s website.
- Additional documents may be requested.
- Visa processing takes about 30 days.
- Upon approval, you have 60 days to enter Costa Rica.
Costa Rica Restricted Visa:
- Apply through a family member or appointed attorney.
- Provide a request letter to the Commission of Restricted Visas.
- If approved, the consulate issues the visa.
Note: Procedures may vary by consulate.
Requirements for USA Nationals:
- US citizens don’t need a visa for up to 90 days.
- Passport must be valid for an additional day.
- Must show access to at least $300.
Requirements for Indian Nationals:
- Indian nationals need a Consular Visa, following the application procedure.
Costa Rica Visa Processing Time and Fee:
- Processing time: Approximately 30 days.
- Visa fee: US$52, non-refundable.